The Abundant Housing MA team is growing! Our current job openings are listed below.
Abundant Housing Massachusetts, Inc. (AHMA) is a 501(c)(4) organization formed in 2020. AHMA believes that Massachusetts is for everyone. Our mission is to stand up for abundant housing for all in communities across Massachusetts. We drive policy at the state and local level by identifying pro-housing changemakers, building the power of local organizers, and connecting a statewide network.
AHMA’s vision for Massachusetts is to create, sustain, and enhance:
- Abundant housing for all;
- A housing market that lets people move when they want, where they want, not when they have to;
- Communities with racially and economically diverse residents;
- Development patterns that facilitate low/no-carbon lifestyles; and,
- Education on effective organizing tools to overcome our history of racial segregation.
AHMA seeks a Statewide Organizer to support and grow our statewide network of grassroots pro-housing organizations and individual advocates. At the onset of employment, the Statewide Organizer will, with oversight from the Executive Director, develop a plan to substantially increase the size of the AHMA network. During implementation of the plan, and on an ongoing basis, the Statewide Organizer will be responsible for supporting AHMA’s dual system of organizational affiliates and individual members. These tasks will include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Identifying local pro-housing leaders to help them build new AHMA-affiliate organizations, recruit new members, and onboard new organizations into the AHMA network;
- Work with all member organizations to respond to local challenges, including developing local policy advocacy campaigns, communications materials, and connect them with other AHMA resources;
- Provide staff support to the AHMA Steering Committee, which is comprised of representatives from all AHMA member organizations and is tasked with guiding AHMA’s policy agenda and advising AHMA Board of Directors and Executive Director to ensure organizational programming is responsive to the needs of member organizations;
- Staff other AHMA member committees, including but not necessarily limited to the Communications Committee;
- Manage external communications including monthly newsletters, website, social media, press releases, and printed communications; and,
- Implement and oversee the AHMA individual membership program, including the annual membership drive and membership renewals.
As AHMA is a young organization with a small staff, it is expected that the Senior Organizer will take on other duties not necessarily described in this posting that may include but not be limited to certain administrative/record keeping, and or reporting responsibilities associated with grants or legal requirements.
- At least 5 years experience in organizing or community engagement, particularly in coordinating regional or statewide networks;
- Experience managing volunteer teams, and/or building grassroots advocacy coalitions;
- Familiarity in areas of MA state and local housing policy, zoning, and/or real estate development processes;
- Familiarity with the various forms of local government in Massachusetts and the challenges they pose for citizen activists;
- Digital marketing and communications experience including leading social media strategy;
- Strong written and verbal/public speaking skills;
- Comfort working in, and with residents of, diverse geographies, including: cities, suburbs and rural communities;
- Self-directed, organized, and ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines while working remote and on multiple projects concurrently;
- Flexibility to work some evening and weekend hours;
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Conversational Spanish;
- Understanding of Massachusetts’ geography in relation to the housing landscape including organizations, policy priorities, needs and challenges across the state;
- Experience utilizing The Action Network or similar digital organizing tools in publicly policy advocacy or electoral campaigns, and ability to train and manage others in the use of these tools;
- Existing familiarity with or ability to quickly learn other digital technologies including WordPress, Gravity Forms, Zapier, Canva, and the Google Workspaces suite, as well as ability to quickly learn and adapt to regular use of new technologies.
Starting salary $55,000 to $75,000 commensurate with experience. In addition, we offer great benefits and perks for employees including:
- Flexible and fully remote work schedule with the exception of in-person staff and member meetings when necessary;
- Co-working opportunities for office space as needed;
- Unlimited paid time off including personal, sick, and selected holidays;
- Competitive health care plan including medical, dental, and option for vision;
- 401K with employer contribution of 100% on first 5% of employee contributions;
- A family-friendly employer committed to maintaining a healthy work-life balance including supporting paid Family medical leave in accordance to Massachusetts’ law;
- Employer-paid or reimbursed professional and educational development opportunities;
- Employer-sponsored membership opportunities across allied organizations;
- Transportation reimbursement for commuting and work-related travel; and,
- Technology and work needs reimbursement up to $500 a year.
Abundant Housing MA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (both are required) to [email protected]